We tried this out for Sunday brunch along with the Ham, Leek, and Three Cheese Quiche but the Mushroom was definitely my favorite. I made both crustless - for one, because I hate crust and it hates me but also because we were having muffins and coffeecake and I thought we had plenty of bread.
I just greased 9in pie plates and poured it directly in without altering the recipe (other than substituting some sharp cheddar in the Ham and Leek one). It came out great! Easy, yummy, crustless quiche! (I didn't take a picture so the photo is from Epicurious, Bon Appetit).
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (half of 15-ounce package) - left this out
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 2/3 cup chopped shallots (about 3 medium)
- 5 cups sliced assorted mushrooms (such as chanterelle, stemmed shiitake, oyster, crimini, and button; 12 to 14 ounces), large mushrooms halved - we used shitake, crimini, button, and portabello
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups (packed) coarsely grated Fontina cheese (about 7 ounces), divided
Preheat oven to 450°F. Unroll crust completely. Press firmly onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch-diameter deep-dish glass pie dish. Bake until light golden brown, pressing on sides of crust with back of spoon if crust begins to slide down sides of dish, about 17 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
Meanwhile, melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté until mushrooms are tender and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer to plate; spread out to cool slightly.
Whisk eggs, half and half, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg in large bowl to blend. Stir in 1 cup Fontina cheese and sautéed mushrooms. Pour filling into crust. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over quiche.
Bake quiche until puffed, golden brown, and just set in center, about 45 minutes. Cool 30 minutes. Cut into wedges.